Sunday, June 5, 2011

Self Portrait

Almost every photographer out there right now has a blog they use to post previews of clients and assignments so everyone can get a taste of what they're doing. Unfortunately, I don't really have a steady flow of assignments that would allow me to blog consistently, so I have to take a different approach.

A couple times a week (read "at least once") I'm going to post either a new picture I was able to take or one from my archives and write a quick blurb or story about it. Nothing too long, mostly just to write and give people something to look at. Depending on what people want (or if anyone actually reads this) I can also post the details of the setup to help anyone that's curious.

I figure an appropriate starting point would be a self portrait, because only by first looking at yourself can you figure out how you view the rest of the world.



Sometimes when it comes to photography, simpler is better. A single-light setup against a neutral background and a natural smile goes a long way in today's age of cell phone mirror pictures and sensationalized Myspace shots. Always make sure you focus and expose for the eyes, be aware of your shadows, and look for the catchlight that gives your pictures that little bit of sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment